Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) Retirement Application and Information
Standard Retirement Forms
The following retirement forms should be submitted to your human resources, personnel office or benefits point of contact two to three months prior to retirement, if possible:
- Application for Immediate Retirement (OPM) - Required. Complete pages 5 - 7.
Complete page 8 if you have military service or have received Workers' Compensation.
Complete page 11 if less than full survivor benefit is elected for your spouse.
- Military Service Deposit Election (OPM) - Required if military deposit is NOT paid.
- Continuation of Life Insurance (OPM) - Required if covered under FEGLI and eligible to continue coverage. Complete page 4.
- Federal Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments (IRS) - Required, or default withholding will be married with 3 exemptions.
In addition to the above forms, also complete:
- Application for Disability Retirement (OPM)
- FEDMER Social Security Disability Eligibility Statement (OPM)
Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
Withdrawals are filed directly with TSP at least 30 days after retirement. You can delay making an election until February 1st of the year following either the year you become age 70 1/2 or the year you retire (whichever is later).
- Request for Partial Withdrawal (TSP)
- Request for Full Withdrawal (TSP)
- Tax Information About Payments from your TSP Account (TSP)
- Withdrawing your TSP Account (TSP)
Additional Retirement Information
- Applying for Immediate Retirement Under FERS (OPM)
- Booklet - Thinking About Retirement (OPM)
- Federal Health Benefits and Medicare (OPM)
- FERS Retirement Helpful Links
- New Retirees FAQs (OPM)
- Information About Disability Retirement (FERS) (OPM)
- OPM – Retirement - How to reach us
- OPM - Retirement Services Online
- Pamphlet - Retirement Services Online (OPM)
- What to Expect After Retirement
- Application to Make Service Credit Payment (OPM)
- Beneficiary Forms
- Health Benefits Election Form (OPM)
- Request for Military Earnings (OPM)